Monday, November 4, 2013

A little more Storyteller

I would like to offer a defense of my post on ‘The Storyteller,’ that appeared to come under some scrutiny a few lectures ago. I think there is a grievous misunderstanding of what is meant when I used the word ‘likeable’ and this needs some clarification. I did not mean ‘likeable’ in the since that the character is an enjoyable person, or that the character is someone I would like to spend time with. The Joker, Walter White, Hannibal Lecter, and the like are not ‘likeable’ characters; they are not people would want to consider your friends. However, these characters are some of the best characters ever developed! They are complicated, multi-dimensional, and demand your attention the second they appear.  

I will admit my word choice of ‘likable’ may not have been the best, but I stand by what I said. Mascarita is not a well developed character would have been a better way to put it.

All in all I still am not a fan of ‘The Storyteller.’ It failed to captivate my interests and never made me want to read. I liked the way Llosa writes, jumping back and forth between narratives, but I never felt the desire to continue reading, there was never a point in the story I felt a desire to know what would happen next.


 But in fear of the riot that would ensue from my dislike of something everyone else (maybe blindly) enjoys, I’ll give it a ‘C.’

No comments:

Post a Comment